Great Staughton PF Minutes 31st October 2012

Minutes of Great Staughton Playing Field Committee Meeting

held on 31st October, 2012

Present:

Janet Bowen (Chair)                               Geoff Gilbert                              Bob Jewell

Matt Jenkins                                           William Mumford                        Mervyn Young

Dianne Palmer (Clerk)

1.   Apologies: received from Claire Matthews, Anna Merchant, James Turner and Justin Waldock.

  1. 2.      Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 12th July, 2012 were approved and duly signed.

  1. 3.      Matters arising:

b/f – The new curtains yet to be fitted.                                                                                         Action: JB

b/f – No Dogs signs – will be installed.                                                                                          Action: WM

b/f – risk assessment – J Bowen will discuss with C Matthews.                                                        Action: JB

b/fJ Bowen has spoken to Michael Howe and David Hoenig regarding repairs to the  windows.

b/f – J Bowen has spoken to Steve Barker about the downpipe                                                       Action: JB

b/f – The Fields in Trust Plaque has been installed on the outside wall.

  1. J Bowen has asked David Hoenig to look at the door.
  2. J Bowen said the RoSPA report will be considered in conjunction with the funding application for new equipment.

 

  1. 4.      Treasurers report:

R Jewell said that there are 3 areas that will have an impact on funds for the current financial year:

  • the cricket club played fewer matches during the summer resulting in fees paid being reduced to £84.00.
  • Hunts District Council have increased the rates by approximately £250.00.   Another appeal will be submitted.
  • the football club will not be playing this season resulting in a further reduction in income of £260.00.

R Jewell informed the meeting that Vicky Goldsmith had resigned from her cleaning role.   Following an advertisement in Life, 4 candidates were interviewed by R Jewell and G Gilbert and James Bowen was given the role.   Due to the financial difficulties it was agreed to reduce the hours paid for cleaning to 1 hour every other week.   As no one is using the changing rooms at present, R Jewell recommended the heaters be switched off in there.   Action: RJ

W Mumford asked whether there was anything the committee could do to encourage more football players and give support to the team as it was a valuable part of village life.   J Bowen will email James Turner offering support in the hope that a new team could be formed for next year.                                                                                                 Action: J B

R Jewell suggested that J Turner may benefit from placing information on the village website.    M Jenkins thought he knew people who might be interested in playing.   It was agreed that a young team would help feed new players into the adult team.   W Mumford will approach a colleague who is qualified to coach young players.            Action: WM

A report was circulated by the Treasurer and discussed.   Please see below:

Income       Expenditure    
PreSchool  £320.00     HDC rates  £ 238.32  
Parties meetings  £  50.00     Electricity  £ 390.00  
Football Club       Cleaning materials  £   12.96  
Interest  £    0.03          
Parish Council Grant  £784.33     Cleaning  £ 360.00  
Cricket Club  £  84.00     Anglian Water  £   63.35  
Tennis club       Fire inspection  £   52.52  
        Repairs  £   10.00  
        safety signs    
PTA fete  £  50.00          
Horticultural scty            
Excess of Expenditure over incme       Excess of Income over expdt £161.21  
Total £1,288.36       £1,288.36  
Balance Sheet as at 8/7/2012            
Opening Balance at Bank    £479.96   Debtors – pre school    
Opening Cash    £   2.00   Closing Cash    £   2.00
Add Opening Debtors       Uncleared cheques    
Less Opening Creditors       Excess of expenditure over income    
Excess of inc. over expdt.   £161.21   Closing Bank    £641.17
     £643.17        £643.17
  1. 5.      Reports from Clubs & Users:

Football – no representative present.

Tennis – no representative present.

Piglets – M Jenkins asked what the situation was regarding the tree cuttings left behind the building.   J Bowen said that these had all been cleared away.

Cricket – R Jewell mentioned that the Cricket Club has a team for next year.

School & Pre-school – J Bowen had been asked to mention an item that was brought up in the recent Ofsted report.  Members of the public walking across the playing field and using the car park could see into the school.   It was suggested by Ofsted/school that a living screen be planted on the playing field.   Committee members were not it favour of this.

J Bowen mentioned that A Merchant was the new school representative.   As C Matthews was the Head Teacher and also a Trustee of the committee it was disappointing that she had not been able to attend a meeting during the current year.   J Bowen will contact C Matthews and ask whether she would like to recommend an alternative person for the role.                                                                                                                                         Action: JB

J Bowen asked whether the Horticultural Society should be invited to the committee meetings as they are regular users of the facilities.   It was felt that this was a good idea.                                                                            Action: JB

  1. 6.      Grass Cutting

R Jewell gave a brief outline of the difficulties experienced with the grass cutting contractor during the summer.

A letter had been received from the contractor explaining his situation due to the wet conditions and, following a conversation between R Jewell and Peter Round, it had been agreed that contact would be maintained if the problems arose again next year.   J Bowen had received suggestions from Norman Hardy, the Tree Warden, for trees to be planted on the playing field.   Following discussion it was agreed that the fruit trees should not be planted on the playing field.   However, J Bowen is going to suggest that they be planted on the Allotments.           Action: JB

  1. 7.      Funding application for play equipment

J Bowen displayed the results of the research conducted with primary school children, preschool children and older school children and pointed out that adults did not have any input to the research.   Generally the most popular items for the playground were multiplay equipment, roundabout, swings, rocket seesaw, and zigzag rockers.   J Bowen had met with Phillip Peacock from Cambs ACRE and was now going to look at suppliers and apply for funding.   W Mumford pointed out that the Wicksteed equipment installed several years ago had lasted well and spares were always available.   The aim would be to find funding to replace all of the equipment but if this is not possible it would be done in stages.   MY complimented J Bowen on the work done.                                                                                                                             Action JB

J Bowen mentioned that a multi user games area (Muga) was also being considered.   At present she was not certain where it could be placed.   The area would be marked out in different colours for different sports.   The school and Piglets would benefit from this area.   R Jewell asked whether the area could be used for cricket practice and, if so, would the cricket nets area be suitable?   J Bowen & R Jewell to check the sizes of current areas and what is available in the standard sizes of the multi user games area.                                                                                                                  Action: JB

  1. 8.      Operational matters:

R Jewell mentioned that there is a log for fire equipment which needs to be completed on a monthly basis to meet fire regulations.   J Bowen will ask James Bowen to do it.                                                                            Action: JB

J Bowen pointed out that the manhole cover near to the footpath/tennis courts has a sunken area round it.  

W Mumford will remedy.                                                                                                             Action: WM

  1. 9.      Correspondence:

Received –

Fields in Trust membership has been reduced by £10.00.

10. Any other business

J Bowen thanked everyone for attending and the meeting closed at 9.35pm

Dates for 2013:

Thursday, 7th February                                                                                        Thursday, 11th April

Thursday, 27th June                                                                                            Thursday, 17th October

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s